Words from Wolfe.
February 19, 2011 § 12 Comments
This morning I slothed out of bed at 6am, ready to make good on my promise of running before work as the sun rose. Once the initial indignation of waking at 6 on a Saturday in the dark subsided, I set out to enjoy a nice 4o minute jog amongst all the other (smug) perky fitness enthusiasts.
I love early mornings, but lately I’ve been sticking to 7am quite happily and losing an hour seemed like a rude insult. I’m aiming for 5am next week, so i’ll have a solid 2 hours of tea-sipping before I have to even think about leaving the house. Worth it? Yes.
Anyway, when I was out jogging a group of older runners came up alongside me and we started chatting. Turns out, they had already done 20kms and were training for an ultra marathon! Respect grand-daddies, respect.
Love the people you meet by chance who inadvertently inspire you.
Now, more about health, less about my pre-breakfasting habits!
As you know I went to see David Wolfe on Thursday night here in Sydney. As I entered the event, I was immediately struck by his charisma and warmth, roaming around chatting animatedly to the attendees. He visibly glows with health and vitality – and that mop! I had ringlet envy.
Nicknamed David ‘Avocado’ Wolfe
I’ll share with you some of the main points I scrawled down in a frenzy of enlightenment:
- “Being healthy has nothing to do with suffering” – I wish more people knew this!!
- We should all live by the concept of ‘adding on’ and upgrading our diets, rather than cutting things out in some puritanical, rigid way. This allows you to access the ‘psychology of success’ which rewards your efforts, & focuses on adding as opposed to subtracting.
- “Success is a refined study of the obvious” – How often do we know WHAT to do, but cannot effectively implement it?
- Do what you will do rather than what you know you’ll never do – do not set yourself up to fail by creating unrealistic goals/rules.
- Wearing shoes = oppression! Hahah I love this.
- Alkalinity/alkaline diet basically grants you a more negative charge (like the earth). The atmosphere is positive and all the vital elements we need will flow more freely into our bodies if we are like magnets attracting the positive charge. Fill yourself up with substances of the earth (pigments/antioxidants/noble substances) and facilitate this transfer!
- “Get in the way of all good things” – place yourself in the path of opportunity & success!
- There is too much food fanaticism – drop the judgement. Judgement and denial create riffs & tears in the fabric of reality and deliver us back to the very thing we originally judged and denied.
- Nutrients inspire noble thoughts.
- I liked the way David said “My message is the way I live & not more than that” (explaining why he doesn’t engage in things like animal rights activism etc).
Super food goodness:
- David places a strong emphasis on consuming foods with a dense nutritional profile that deliver potent antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and other amazing constituents. He believes we are noble creatures and therefore should eat superlative foods.
Punchy crunchy pomegranate
- Betaine (found in beets) is incredibly powerful for detoxifying as it acts as a methyl-donor and can subsequently convert homocysteine to methionine (high levels of homocysteine in the blood has been implicated in increased risk of atherosclerosis, heart disease & stroke). Ca-ca-ca-crazzzzy!
- Purple corn has a pigment that acts as an antidepressant & potent antioxidant.
- Reishi mushroom is a phenomenal immune enhancer and restores balance to the body.
- Stinging nettle is great for improving bone density & has antihistamine & anti-inflammatory actions.
- Button mushrooms help lower ‘bad estrogen’.
- Olive oil – top 5 foods for longevity, as well as:
- And of course, Cacao! (According to 109-year old raw-foodist Bernando LaPallo)
- Foods look like their nutritional function ie. An avocado is a uterus!
- Asparagus root has shown amazing anti-cancer potential (credited to the immune boosting polysaccharides).
- A constituent of Astragalus (Chinese herb for immunity) called TA65, has shown remarkable promise for helping to reverse telomere shortening (it is theorised that the cleaving of base pairs from telomeres in our DNA results in ageing & death). INCREDIBLE RIGHT?!
- Purslane may have similar properties that are being investigated.
- Cacao is fantastic for asthma!
Raw chocolate treats
- We have our very own superfood here in Australia – the Kakadu Plum! Thought to be the richest food source of vitamin C!
- Cat’s Claw & Pau D’arco kill Candida.
- Sea plasma is thought to reverse genetic defects.
That’s my slap-dash recount of some interesting key points. Now go forth and research my pretties!